On this week’s episode of Stay Tuned, “Pardonpalooza & #MeToo,” Preet and Anne Milgram, his CAFE Insider podcast co-host, answer your questions about the numerous pardons and sentence commutations issued by the White House this week.
The guest this week is Ronan Farrow, author of Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators and the host of the accompanying “The Catch and Kill Podcast.” Both works recount Farrow’s difficult journey to publishing game-changing sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein. Farrow is currently working with HBO on a documentary about the threats journalists face around the world.
As always, tweet your questions to @PreetBharara with hashtag #askpreet, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 669-247-7338 to leave a voicemail.
To listen to Stay Tuned bonus content, become a member of CAFE Insider.
Sign up to receive the CAFE Brief, a weekly newsletter featuring analysis of politically charged legal news, and updates from Preet.
REFERENCES & SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS
- Office of the Pardon Attorney
- Derrick Bryson Taylor, Heather Murphy, and Mariel Padilla, “A Complete List of Trump’s Pardons and Commutations,” NYT, 2/18/20
- “U.S. attorney launches criminal probe of Rich pardon,” CNN, 2/14/01
CATCH AND KILL
- Ronan Farrow, Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators, Little, Brown, and Company, 2019
- Ronan Farrow, “The Catch and Kill Podcast,” Pineapple Street Media, 2019-2020
- Kara Scannell and Mark Morales, “National Enquirer company chief David Pecker talking with New York prosecutors,” CNN, 11/25/2019
- Rachel Maddow, “NBCUniversal Offers NDA Releases Over Harassment Claim Concerns,” MSNBC, 10/26/2019
- Jeff Bezos, “No thank you, Mr. Pecker,” Medium, 2/7/2019
- Sarah Ellison and Paul Farhi, “Publisher of the National Enquirer admits to hush money payments made on Trump’s behalf,” Washington Post, 12/12/2018
- Joe Palazzolo, Michael Rothfeld, and Lukas I. Alpert, “National Enquirer Shieldd Donald Trump From Playboy Model’s Affair Allegation,” WSJ, 11/4/2016
- Reed Albergotti, Vanessa O’Connell, and Russel Adams, “How Tiger Woods Protected His Image,” WSJ, 12/18/2009
- Anna Louise Bardach, “The Hush-Hush Deal that Made Arnold Schwarzenegger Governor,” LA Magazine, 9/1/2004
NEW YORKER STORIES
- Ronan Farrow, “The Black Cube Chronicles,” The New Yorker, Parts I, II, and III, 10/9/2019
- Ronan Farrow, “How an Élite University Research Center Concealed its Relationship with Jeffrey Epstein,” The New Yorker, 9/7/2019
- Jane Mayer and Ronan Farrow, “A Sexual-Misconduct Allegation Against Supreme Court Nominee Brett Kavanaugh Stirs Tension Among Democrats in Congress,” The New Yorker, 9/14/2018
- Ronan Farrow, “Les Moonves and CBS Face Allegations of Sexual Misconduct,” The New Yorker, 7/27/2018
- Jane Mayer and Ronan Farrow, “Four Woman Accuse New York’s Attorney General of Physical Abuse,” The New Yorker, 5/7/2018
- Ronan Farrow, “The National Enquirer, A Trump Rumor, and Another Secret Payment to Buy Silence,” The New Yorker, 4/12/2018
- Ronan Farrow, “Donald Trump, a Playboy Model, and a System for Concealing Infidelity,” The New Yorker, 2/16/2018
- Ronan Farrow, “Harvey Weinstein’s Army of Spies,” The New Yorker, 11/6/2017
- Ronan Farrow, “From Aggressive Overtures to Sexual Assault: Harvey Weinstein’s Accusers Tell Their Stories,” The New Yorker, 10/10/2017
- Ronan Farrow, Tweet on Jurors, Twitter, 1/9/2020
- Michael Levenson, “Who’s Who in the Harvey Weinstein Trial,” New York Times, 2/19/2020
- Jeremy Barr, “Why the Weinstein Trial Jurors are Deliberating Slowly,” The Hollywood Reporter, 2/19/2020
- Alyssa Rosenberg, “Harvey Weinstein is on trial. But #MeToo is in danger,” Washington Post, 2/18/2020